Exploring New Orleans – Day 1 Postmortem

Posted: January 6, 2008 by Nathan Kam in New Orleans, Travel

Roadtrip! After landing in Houston at 2:30 a.m., we hit the road for New Orleans. Of all the vans they could have given us, they gave us a RED one. After five and a half hours and one stop for breakfast in Lafayette, LA, we arrived safely in New Orleans.

Having had the opportunity to travel to many great U.S. cities on work and leisure, I was really looking forward to finding out what New Orleans had to offer. Having done a little bit of research before departing Hawaii, I was looking forward to exploring one of America’s oldest cities post-Katrina, tasting delicious Cajun/Creole cuisine, partying it up on Bourbon Street, and enjoying the electric atmosphere surrounding the Sugar Bowl.

Having only four full days in NOLA, we did as much as we could from sun up to sun down. Here’s some of the highlights from our first day in the city.

After driving in the rain for most of the trip, we finally arrive in New Orleans. Our rooms at the Sheraton New Orleans were fabulous, with beautiful views of the Mississippi River and lower part of the French Quarter. We did quite a bit of walking in the city as everything is conveniently located near each other. After everyone took a quick nap, we were ready to hit the streets.

On our way out to explore the French Quarter. It didn’t take us long to stop for some traditional Cajun food…po-boys, jambalaya, gumbo. All delicious!


Walking Bourbon Street with a couple of Big Ass Beers for just $3…what a deal! I was surprised by how dirty and “sleezy” Bourbon Street is. Kinda reminds me of a glorified Hotel Street here on Oahu. After a little exploration, we headed to the UH Pep Rally by Jax Brewery. Thousands of Warrior fans showed up for this great event.


After the Pep Rally, Lorne, Regan, and I hit Bourbon Street at night. We saw a bunch of friends from Hawaii and there was a good number of locals roaming the streets with us. Throughout the night we ate and drank until our heart was content. The fried catfish po-boy was definitely one of the highlights of the trip.

We had a lot of fun the first day. The temperature got pretty cold at night (probably into the low 40) which made staying warm a priority. Day two brought even more drinking, eating, and new experiences which I’ll tell you all about soon. Just to give you a hint of what’s to come…let’s just say Regan and Lorne don’t remember much of New Year’s Eve.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s